The class was so much fun and surprising informative! Alice (the founder of the company) lead the class, showing us how to use flower foam, giving us tips and tricks for cutting the stems of different types of flowers, and showed us how to quickly remove thorns from long-stem roses. Each student created their very own arrangement, and although we each were using the same flowers (and exactly the same number of each variety of flower), everyone’s arrangement came out pretty differently.
For me, taking an hour class for flower arranging was really fun and therapeutic. Its a calming type of art – not stressful in anyway, and at the end of the night, I had a stunning arrangement to bring home with me. After just one class, I would say that I would be confident on using flower foam and making my own custom arrangement at home alone – which is pretty cool.
A few things I learned during class:
- If you’d like to use flower foam, purchase the instant foam (which absorbs water instantly.) The other variety you must soak for 4+ hours.
- Cut stems at an angle. It increases the surface area, which allows for more water absorption.
- You can water the heads of hydrangeas, as well as the stems (they absorb from both ends.)
- If your roses have not yet opened, place them in warm water for a few hours. It helps them open up!
- Arrangements using flower foam only last a few days. If you’d like your flowers to last a week or more, place flowers in a vase without foam. It allows for extra water absorption and a longer life of the arrangement.
And photos from the event!:
I highly suggest giving this class a try! You learn a ton and leave feeling confident to create arrangements on your own – which is not bad after 1 class. Alice’s Table offers tons of classes, events, flower delivery options, and also packages for DIY brides. Lots to offer – check it out!